The grass is starting to turn a little green. The birds are chirping. Is spring really on its way? I hope so!
I'm just wrapping up my four week class on sex for couples and I'm starting a new round of classes in April called, Stop Arguing & Start Communicating! Tips for Effective Communication. Check out the Couples Classes Section for more information.
And speaking of communication, we all can use a few quick tips right? In this issue, my article focuses on creating intimacy in a hurry with deeper, more authentic sharing.
Tools & Tips: Be More Intimate, More Authentic in Your Communication
We all get busy and it seems like there's just no time to really talk to one another in a way that goes beyond the boring "How was your day, dear?" or "What should we have for dinner?"
Here are some tips for sharing more deeply and authentically to generate closeness in a hurry!
1. Instead of running down a list of what you did during a given day, share how you felt about different elements of your day. For example, instead of "I had 3 back to back meetings and finished a major report" say, "I was so energized (or bored or irritated)by today's meeting. It made me really think about..."
2. Ask for your partner's thoughts on what they think would create more closeness and fun. For example, ask questions like, "Remember when we used to go dancing in the past? What do you think we could do these days that would be that fun?"
3. During dinner time or in the car, share funny or interesting stories from your childhood, college days or just some musings you're having about your life dreams.
4. Practice on occasion, at least once a month, asking, "What can I do for you that would make you really happy?"
Give these tips a try and you should be talking more intimately in no time at all!
Couples Classes: "Stop Arguing & Start Communicating! Tips for Effective Communication"
Are you tired of arguing all the time? Do you feel like your partner never listens to or understands you? Are you sick of having the same discussion over and over and feeling like it never gets resolved?
Take this three week class for couples on effective communication.
In this class you will learn how to:
- Stop arguing and move into a more workable discussion
- Really listen to understand each other
- Be less critical and defensive
- Recover from a bad argument
- Resolve issues to completion (most of the time)!
This class is packed with tons of exercises, tools and tips to help you get the relationship you want through better communication!
Join me for lots of fun and education on:
Mondays, April 16, 23 and 30th
6:30p.m. to 8:30p.m.
$40 per class/per couple or $100/per couple if you pay for all three classes in advance!
Click here to register or find out more information!
Book Recommendation: Talk to Me Like I'm Someone You Love
This book is a great book for quick communication tips. Dr. Nancy Dreyfuss has created a book of flash cards, with communication tips and rationale for all kinds of feelings and situations. I especially love the tip, "I'm afraid if I apologize right now, we won't talk about what hurt me too."
If you find yourself not knowing what to say or how to say things, this wonderful book, Talk to Me Like I'm Someone You love is a fantastic resource!
Want Even more Advice on Relationships?
Subscribe to my blog and read at your leisure. Topics range from date night, to what to do with anger during arguments and how to keep relationships close.
There's lots to read these days and certainly not enough time to read it all. Tuck this blog away for those times when you really need to read something to get perspective on your relationship.
Click here to read my latest blog entry
Also, I'm offering free articles to those who request them. Articles are entitled: "Communication: Making Your Relationship Work," "Building Closeness in Your Relationship." and
"Affair-Proofing Your Marriage." Stay tuned for future articles on other topics available by request. Click on the following link to get your free articles!
CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR FREE ARTICLES!!
Request for Endorsements!
If you feel so inclined, it would be great if you all would do a couple of things for me.
1) Take the time to write a brief review of me on my Linked In Profile.
2) Become a fan of my Facebook Page.
3) Send me, via email, a written testimonial on your experience with me that I can post anonymously on my website.
I would deeply appreciate it!
Thank you for sharing this journey in life and love with me.
Karen Holland, LMFT
4155 E. Jewell Avenue, Ste 703
Denver, CO 80222
(720) 210-5452/office & fax
New! Comments Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.